Fast facts on balloon kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty/sacroplasty:
- Balloon kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive treatment option for osteoporotic fractures, spinal metastasis and traumatic burst fractures.
- Balloon kyphoplasty involves inflating a balloon inside the fractured vertebral body and then injecting cement to make it strong.
- Most patients experience immediate pain relief and return tonormal mobility.
- Vertebroplasty means injecting cement into vertebral body without inflating balloon. It is preferred for multi-level involvement and where deformity correction is not the primary concern.
- Sacroplasty is a procedure to inject cement into sacrum to treat osteoporotic fractures of sacrum.